How do you know if the damp course is really working?
Are you in a dispute with a contractor?
Have you had a damp problem for a while and no damp specialists can fix it?
Is it rising damp, penetrating damp, condensation, a leak or salt damp?
Complete Preservation are here to help, and we can guarantee to solve the problem using The Building Research Establishment method ( BRE Digest 245) with laboratory analysis and a long term guarantee.
- We take a moisture profile of the wall using a slow speed drill and go past the last signs of damp
- All samples after drilling are sealed in an air tight container and are labelled
- Samples are then individually weighed on laboratory scales
- Samples are then placed in a desiccator (humidity chamber) for a couple of days @75%RH
- Samples are re-weighed and recorded to see if they have gained weight or lost weight
- Samples are then placed in a laboratory oven and dried until all moisture has evaporated
- Samples are then tested for Nitrates and Chlorides
- We now have 3 readings, a profile and salt testing results which will give us 100% correct diagnosis
The above picture shows that there is no free moisture (no damp), the problem is the hygroscopic salts distributed in the wall from previous rising damp. These salts are hygroscopic (nitrates and chlorides) and the plaster needs to be replaced.
The above picture shows how a damp meter can get confused with hygroscopic salts and moisture
Gravimetric damp testing to BRE Digest 245
Oven dry method testing for dampness BRE 245
For further info and to contact us contact us at www.completepreservation.co.uk